musicians need to thoroughly learn their scales, chords, intervals and
various melodic patterns in order to be complete musicians. The question
has always been how to approach this universal task.
THE SERIOUS JAZZ PRACTICE BOOK provides a unique and comprehensive
plan for mastering these basic building blocks of jazz, on any instrument.
- It takes all the diatonic, pentatonic, chromatic, whole-tone and
diminished scales and gives you step-by-step exercises that dissect
them into hundreds of useable patterns.
- The same is also done for all the chord types and intervals inherent
in each scale.
- Many of the exercises are embellished with chromatic notes, giving
them that jazz flavor right away.
- The companion CD has Barry demonstrating how to use the exercises
to create great solos.
- The end result is a method book that will lead the reader to a
deep, internalized understanding of the fundamentals of jazz.
Guitar legend Barry Finnerty was on some of the most important jazz
fusion recordings of the 1970s and 80s, including:
Miles Davis The Man With The Horn
The Brecker Bros. Heavy Metal Bebop
The Crusaders Street Life.
In addition to playing with these landmark groups, Barry has played
and/or recorded with many other jazz greats, including:
Jones/Mel Lewis Band
Sweat & Tears
Hamilton, and many more.